Cape Town – A Gauteng man whose three sons died after consuming an energy drink laced with poison, allegedly given to them by him, reportedly died in hospital on Friday.
Tebogo Ngcongwane, 6, Katleho Khoabane, 13, and Lehlogonolo Khoabane, 16 were pupils at Ratanda Primary and Khanya Lesedi Secondary school.
Reports indicated that the trio and two other siblings were given the energy drink by their father while preparing for school last month.
“Four siblings consumed the energy drink after arriving at school. Sadly, two of them died at the school after complaining of stomach pains.
“The third sibling died on the way to the nearest hospital. The fourth sibling is in a critical condition at the hospital. Fortunately, the fifth sibling did not consume the energy drink,” Gauteng’s education department spokesperson, Steve Mabona was quoted as saying at the time.
EWN reported on Sunday that police had since confirmed the passing of the man, saying he died in hospital on Friday under police guard.
He had been in hospital since last month when he was found unconscious at his Ratanda home, allegedly after he had tried to take his own life.
According to Times Live, his family said at the time that he tried to take his life by drinking pills, stabbing his hands and thighs and attempting to slit his throat.
He later apologised for the tragic death of his children.
The man was facing charges of murder and attempted murder.
Compiled by Sinothando Siyolo