Cape Town – Police in Gauteng are reportedly investigating the tragic deaths of three boy learners – all siblings – who passed away on Thursday morning after allegedly consuming an energy drink given to them by their father.
The brothers, aged 6, 13, and 16 were pupils at Ratanda Primary and Khanya Lesedi Secondary school.
According to News24, Gauteng’s education department spokesperson, Steve Mabona, said the trio and two other siblings were given the energy drink by their father on Thursday morning.
“Four siblings consumed the energy drink after arriving at school. Sadly, two of them died at the school after complaining of stomach pains.
“The third sibling died on the way to the nearest hospital. The fourth sibling is in a critical condition at the hospital. Fortunately, the fifth sibling did not consume the energy drink,” the report quoted Mabona as saying.
EWN reported on Friday that Gauteng Education MEC Panyza Lesufi had since confirmed that the three pupils were killed by their father.
Lusufi maintained that the father laced the drink with poison, the report said.
He said that the father had attempted to commit suicide following the incident.
Lesufi conveyed his sincerest condolences to the family, particularly the mother, of the deceased pupils, IOL reported.
“I further extend my condolences to friends, fellow pupils and teachers of the pupils, especially those who had witnessed these tragic incidents,” said Lesufi as quoted by the report.
Compiled by Olwethu Mpeshe