Cape Town – A mass funeral will reportedly be held on Wednesday, July 6 for the 21 teenagers who died at Enyobeni tavern in East London on Sunday.
According to Times Live, the government and the teenagers’ families have agreed to hold a mass funeral for them.
The families will be assisted, among other things, with the transportation of the bodies to the burial sites of their choice.
Avbob Funeral Service has pledged funeral costs for each family.
Meanwhile, the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality waived the burials’ gravesite fees for the burials.
IOL reported that the families received food parcels and vouchers on Wednesday.
The families and the community were receiving psychosocial support, including community debriefing sessions, to help them cope with the tragedy, said the report.
The teenagers, eight girls and 13 boys died at the tavern, in a residential area called Scenery Park.
Seventeen were found dead at the scene, while the rest died in hospital.
Reports said while the cause of death could not be confirmed, authorities ruled out early allegations of a stampede because the deceased allegedly had no external injuries.
Autopsies had been performed on all the deceased and samples were sent to a laboratory in the Western Cape for investigation, according to The South African.
“The report will be shared with the affected families as soon as investigations have been concluded, the report quoted the Eastern Cape government spokesperson Khuselwa Rantjie as saying.
Police remained on the scene to search for additional clues and evidence that led to the shocking deaths.
Picture: Twitter/ @NalaThokozane
Compiled by Sinothando Siyolo