Cape Town – Eskom says police are investigating the kidnapping of one of its employees in Gauteng earlier this month.
The power utility said the incident happened on 16 March.
“The employee’s car was shot at multiple times, and the employee was forcefully taken by seven assailants.
“He was later released at a location in the south of Johannesburg and had to be admitted to hospital as a result of injuries sustained from being assaulted by the attackers,” Eskom said.
ALSO READ | Eskom corruption: De Ruyter must name implicated ANC politicians, says Zuma
The motive behind the attack remained unknown.
The power utility’s Acting Group Chief Executive, Calib Cassim conveyed his sympathies to the employee for the trauma they went through.
“Eskom condemns such brutal acts and will under no circumstances, tolerate any attacks on its staff members and their families by anyone,” Cassim said.
Meanwhile, Eskom has announced that due to higher than anticipated demand stage three load shedding would kick in on Thursday, with stage four from 16:00 until Friday morning.
The country has experienced decreased levels of load shedding for closed to two week with some days with no load shedding.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Olwethu Mpeshe