Cape Town – The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Social Development has reportedly conveyed its condolences to the family of a nine-year-old boy who was allegedly strangled by his father following a domestic dispute.
According to police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda, the victim was strangled with a string and his body was dumped in the bushes, IOL reported.
The report said that the 28-year-old father was expected to appear in Pinetown Magistrate’s Court in connection with the murder.
Meanwhile, the boy’s body was found on January 13 at Shongweni Dam, the report said.
KZN Department of Social Development spokesperson, Mhlaba Memela said they found solace in the fact that the alleged perpetrator had been arrested, adding this was the third child murder this month.
“We will be sending a team of psychologists to provide support to the families and we call on law enforcement to deny him bail,” Memela was quoted as saying.
Just last week, the department expressed its shock over the brutal murder of Philasande Shange, 7.
The boy was reported missing from his eNtshawini home and three days later a few parts of his dismembered body were found in a nearby stream and bushes, the department said in a statement.
The department said that the family received an SMS from an untraceable number informing them where the child’s remains could be found while another SMS told the family the rest of the boy’s body had been sold.
The family only found the boy’s head and leg, said the department.