Cape Town – Western Cape Premier Alan Winde is expected to reveal the reason why Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz has been suspended, but according to reports on Monday, the suspension is apparently linked to sexual assault allegations.
According to News24, four independent sources confirmed that sexual assault allegations were at the core of the suspension.
“He allegedly sexually assaulted young female workers in his office,” the report quoted a direct source who has knowledge of the suspension as saying.
Premier of the Western Cape Alan Winde’s office issued a statement on Sunday, January 23, informing the public of the decision to suspend Fritz.
The statement cited “serious allegations of misconduct” made against Fritz.
According to The Citizen, although the nature of the allegations were not disclosed, Winde said they were brought to his attention last week.
He said that Fritz had offered his full cooperation in the investigation.
“I have summoned the MEC and informed him of these allegations, as well as my decision to suspend him with immediate effect, which he has accepted.
“I have initiated a full investigation which must proceed on an unhindered basis. MEC Fritz has offered his full cooperation in this investigation,” IOL quoted Winde as saying.
Meanwhile, Fritz has requested to be allowed to step aside as DA provincial leader so as to deal with the scandal.
DA Western Cape chairperson Jaco Londt said the party’s provincial deputy leader Tertuis Simmers will be acting leader for the time being, Independent Media reported.
Picture: Picture: Twitter/@AlbertFritz_