The Armaments Corporation of South Africa SOC Limited (Armscor) is an acquisition agency for the South African Department of Defence. Its mandate is to provide armed forces with the state-of-the-art defence matériel required to provide safety and security for South Africa, its citizens and the continent.
Despite the changing socio-economic climate, Armscor remains committed to supporting peacekeeping efforts that ensure peace and stability in African economies, and strengthen relations that further boost the continent’s development agenda.
It has a proven track record of delivering on its mandate. Armscor has extensive experience in product development and technology development, and the enhancement, sustainment and disposal of products. The organisation has world-class facilities that can be used by both local and international clients to test and evaluate the performance of their defence- and security-related products. Armscor prides itself on maintaining high-quality international standards through rigorous testing and evaluation processes on all its technology-management projects.
Armscor is committed to driving creativity and innovation in collaboration with strategic partners. In line with its strategic objective of trade, both in the SADC and BRICS zones, the organisation also provides marketing support to the South African defence industry (SADI).
ARMSCOR’S ACQUISITION CAPABILITIES
- Artillery systems
- Naval vessels
- Vehicle design and manufacture (soft skin and armoured)
- Munitions and small-calibre ammunition
- Command and control systems
- Electronic warfare systems
- Telecommunication systems (static and tactical)
- Aircraft (fixed and rotary wing)
- Radar systems
- System maintenance and support
- Guided/unguided weapon systems
- Unmanned aerial vehicles.
ARMSCOR’S DEFENCE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTES
Institute for Maritime Technology
- Provides techno-military expertise to the broader maritime community
- Provides a comprehensive range of services in ergonomics as well as occupational health and safety to optimise human performance and efficiency.
- Manufactures and markets a comprehensive range of filter cartridges, canisters, half-and full-face masks to protect individuals against respiratory health hazards.
- Computer-based simulation and failure analysis support on the design, development and operational use of weaponry systems.
- Protection against hazardous chemical and biological threats, including verification and detection of prohibited chemical and biological agents.
- Conducts research to advance armour-protection technologies, the development of armour, vehicle hull and structural ballistic design, as well as the specification of bonding or welding.
TEST AND EVALUATION FACILITIES
Alkantpan Test Range
- One-stop shop for clients to test and evaluate their weapons and ammunition.
Gerotek Test Facility
- Tests and evaluates the performance of vehicles in terms of speed, braking, fuel consumption, acceleration and power output.
- Advanced driver training, corporate events, conference facilities and restaurant.
AB Logistics is a fully accredited clearing and freight forwarding agent that offers a one-stop service to the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), the SADI and foreign defence forces. It has capabilities in freight forwarding, customs formalities, imports and exports control, compliance requirements, shipping route development, road haulage transport that includes explosives, aircrafts and air chartering. AB Logistics has extensive experience in transporting sensitive commodities and hazardous cargo.
AB Logistics was established to provide a one-stop service to its clients, taking care of all those difficulties that consume hours of their valuable time and cause unnecessary delays in the planning of the entire logistics supply chain and travel arrangements. It is a registered member of International Air Transport Association and Association of Southern African Travel Agents. Customer satisfaction is a priority.
- Customs clearance
- Air freight
- Sea freight
- Road haulage/cartage
- Travel agency services.
DEFENCE DECISION SUPPORT INSTITUTE
The Defence Decision Support Institute (DDSI) renders defence analysis, engineering support, decision support, operational research and capability analysis services to defence practitioners in the Department of Defence and Military Veterans, focusing on the high system levels (level 5+) over the total life cycle of defence capabilities.
DDSI comprises a team of scientists, engineers and operational specialists who render a broad range of services, described below. The scope of services includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Policy analysis
- War and conflict studies
- Environmental analysis
- Defence capability analysis
- Weapon systems analysis
- Operational analysis
- Process development and support
- Products system management support
- Integrated logistic support management services
- Systems and logistics engineering services.
Services are delivered on the basis of a centre of excellence – benchmarked against international norms and practices, and applying multi- and inter-disciplinary methodologies with a joint and integrated focus. In terms of size, structure and capabilities, DDSI reflects and can be tailored to the current and future requirements of the client environment as required.
Armscor Dockyard provides repair and maintenance services to the South African Navy on various configurations of product systems, from tugs and small craft, to frigates and submarines. Maintenance and repair services cover both planned and ad hoc projects. It is one of South Africa’s strategic national capabilities, where the country’s naval defence maintenance, repair and overall capabilities are housed.
The facility is responsible for establishing, maintaining and developing an infrastructure to provide the following services:
- Vessel refitting, repair, maintenance and modernisation
- Engineering changes
- Equipment repair
- Docking services
- Spares manufacturing
- Technical assistance to shore establishments
- Technical trainings support
- Projects/planning service
- Chemical analysis.
Armscor is geared towards providing unmatched sustainable defence solutions to all its clients and potential clients in the African continent and globally. Recent success has seen the conversion of some of these traditional defence technologies in application and use in a myriad of other industries and situations, thus affirming Armscor’s ability to remain relevant in – and at the forefront of – an ever-changing world.
Corporate Communication Division
Private Bag X337
+27 (0)12 428 1911