Cape Town – Transnet ports in KwaZulu-Natal are reportedly recovering following riots and looting that rocked the province last week.
Employees have started reporting for work and the shipping backlog in Richards bay has been cleared, reports said on Monday.
“Transnet’s two ports in KwaZulu-Natal, Durban and Richards Bay, which were gripped by shutdowns, looting and the burning of businesses last week, have improved since Thursday,” IOL quoted Transnet as saying.
Transnet said it would resume rail services as soon as it was safe to do so.
However, according to Business Day, “at Durban harbour, difficulties in returning to full operations remained, with road closures in the area constraining truck access into and out of the port, resulting in backlogs”.
The violence – the worst in post-apartheid South Africa – erupted after former president Jacob Zuma was sentenced to 15 months in jail for snubbing a corruption inquiry.
The rioting caused widespread destruction, leaving thousands of businesses trashed, including many retail shops that were specifically targeted.
It also affected food transportation and resulted in food shortages and medicine shortages.
President Cyril Ramaphosa said the riots were a “coordinated and well-planned attack” on the country’s young democracy.
Picture: Getty Images
Compiled by Sinothando Siyolo
Additional reporting by AFP