Cape Town – South Africa’s new ambassador to the US, Roelf Meyer, has officially presented his credentials to US President Donald Trump at the White House, a year after Trump falsely accused South Africa of a “white genocide” during a meeting with President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Meyer replaces former ambassador Ebrahim Rasool, who was expelled in March last year.
Speaking to the SABC from Washington, Meyer described the credential ceremony as “warm” and said he and diplomat Thabo Thage were committed to representing South Africa and the Government of National Unity.
WATCH | South Africa’s Ambassador to the US, Roelf Meyer says it is not yet time to speak on the “Afrikaner genocide” as he has only been in office a few days, and there may be more pressing issues. pic.twitter.com/8HLnKw3IDf
— SABC News (@SABCNews) May 22, 2026
Meyer said it was still too early to outline his priorities but stressed the need to improve relations between Pretoria and Washington, remove obstacles affecting ties between the countries, and focus on economic growth and job creation.
The former apartheid-era politician remains a controversial figure in South Africa, viewed by some as a key negotiator in ending apartheid, while others criticise his political legacy.
Welcome to Washington D.C, Ambassador Roelf Meyer.
#Dirco pic.twitter.com/utTqcV51LQ— South African Embassy, Washington D.C (@RSAinDC) May 21, 2026
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture: X/@RSAinDC
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Betha Madhomu
