Conakry – Civil society organisations, political parties and diplomats on Sunday condemned the junta’s use of force in Guinea and called urgently for a national dialogue after banned demonstrations that left several people dead.
A coalition of political parties, trade unions and other bodies, demanded “the immediate opening of a framework for inclusive dialogue” and threatened new demonstrations from August 15.
The Forces Vives de la Nation condemned violence, extrajudicial arrests, the banning of demonstrations and misuse of the justice system.
It also called for an independent investigation to determine the circumstances that led to deaths that had occurred and the immediate and unconditional release of prisoners.
A Guinean opposition coalition on Saturday said it was calling off protests for a week following the deadly clashes and a plea for calm by West Africa’s regional bloc.
The National Front for the Defence of the Constitution (FNDC), an alliance of political parties, trade unions and civil society organisations, has also said gendarmes arrested its coordinator Oumar Sylla.
The West African state has seen violent clashes between the security forces and demonstrators protesting against the military junta’s plans for a three-year transition to civilian rule.
Thursday and Friday saw violent demonstrations in Conakry. Organisers say at least five people died, while the authorities put the death toll at one.
Fresh protests had been scheduled for August 4 to denounce the “unilateral management of the transition” by the junta, which has banned all political demonstrations until the next election campaign.
A military-dominated government headed by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya has led Guinea since September 2021, when a putsch toppled former president Alpha Conde.
ECOWAS has rejected the junta’s proposal to restore civilian rule within three years, arguing that the transition process should be quicker.
Picture: Getty Images