Conakry – Guinea’s army-dominated government announced on Friday that a political forum had proposed a transition period of between 18 and 52 months before staging elections.
In April, the government launched an “inclusive consultation framework” designed to discuss restoring civilian rule after last year’s military coup in the West African state.
Regional bloc ECOWAS had set Monday as a deadline for putting forward an “acceptable” transition timetable or risk economic and financial sanctions.
Guinea’s ruling military junta had let the deadline pass, however, asking the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) for more time for consultations to continue.
At the close of the conference in the capital Conakry, Territorial Administration Minister Mory Conde said that “all the participants” had suggested transition periods ranging from 18 to 52 months.
He added that the junta and representatives from civil society and politics will decide the transition period together.
Several prominent political groups in Guinea boycotted the conference.
Rafiou Sow, a spokesman for leading Guinean political coalitions Anad and G58, told AFP the consultation framework “is not valid”.
He urged instead that international partners appoint a facilitator for talks, otherwise Anad and G58 will use “peaceful demonstrations to make themselves heard”.
In September 2021, army officers led by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya ousted elected president Alpha Conde in the impoverished former French colony.
Conde, 84, had drawn fierce opposition after he pushed through a new constitution in 2020 that allowed him to run for a third presidential term.
Although many Guineans initially welcomed the coup, there is growing discontent against the junta in the nation of 13 million people.
Picture: Getty Images