Cape Town – The girlfriend of convicted murderer and “Facebook rapist” Thabo Bester reportedly told the court that she would not be applying for bail on Thursday owing to new evidence.
Nandipha Magudumana appeared in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Thursday alongside five former G4S employees – two of whom were arrested last week.
They are accused of assisting Bester in his audacious prison escape.
According to News24, legal counsel for Magudumana said the accused had been ready for the bail hearing until new information arose.
They, therefore, asked for Magudumana’s matter to be held on 16 May when she will appear for the main case and possible bail application.
Times Live reported that Magudumana’s attorney told the court there was material evidence which was crucial in Magudumana’s matter.
JUST IN: Magistrate grants Dr Nandipha Magudumana the order to have her bail application rolled over to the 16th of May. This is the day her father, Zolile Sekeleni and #ThaboBester will be back in court. Magudumana leaves the court. @LindA_MniSii pic.twitter.com/MSfmouvkCU
— Newzroom Afrika (@Newzroom405) May 11, 2023
The State prosecutor confirmed they had received a request for some information from Magudumana’s attorney, the report said.
Bester escaped from the Mangaung Correctional Centre in Bloemfontein on 3 May 2022 when he faked his death in a fire.
Once allegations surfaced that the burnt body found in his cell was not his, Magudumana and Bester fled the country and were detained in Tanzania last month.
Meanwhile, according to EWN, acting Chief Magistrate Lindiwe Mbassa clarified that while the media would be able to broadcast the bail proceedings, they would not be allowed to identify any witness called to lead evidence in respect of the bail application.
The media would also not be allowed to film the witnesses or identify them, but was allowed to record audio the proceedings.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Betha Madhomu