Cape Town – The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) and a company linked to it are reportedly appearing in the Gauteng High Court to answer questions about the disappearance of Ethiopian Abdella Hussein Abadiga.
According to news reports, Advocate Billy Moeletsi, for the respondents, denied any involvement of the SANDF, SANDF General Herbert Dilebogo Mashego and communications company Peters Communications Trust, three of four respondents in the case.
This came after the court ordered the three respondents to disclose the whereabouts of Abadiga, who was allegedly kidnapped from the Mall of Africa in December, The Herald reported.
“When we resume tomorrow (Friday), I need you to explain to court where the applicant is. Is he in jail, is he in hospital, is he dead? Please let the family know where he is. I need you to come on record and assure us where the applicant is,” Judge Lotter Wepener ordered State Attorney Anusha Nadasen.
ALSO READ | ‘We have to work together’ – City of Cape Town forms inter-governmental task force with SAPS amid kidnappings
TimesLIVE reported that the application was launched by Abadiga’s brother Abdurahim Abadiga after his alleged disappearance from the mall on December 29, apparently after he had a meeting there.
Moeletsi told the court that the three respondents had “no knowledge” and did not take part in the alleged kidnapping, the report said.
CCTV footage obtained from Mall of Africa cameras allegedly showed vehicles with number plates registered to Peters Communications Trust leaving the parking lot at about the time of Abadiga’s disappearance.
Abadiga, who was placed under US Treasury sanctions last year, is allegedly a recruiter and funder of the Isis, according to the US Department of the Treasury.
It is alleged he helped Isis gather support and financing for its Africa campaigns by extorting money from members of the two mosques he controls in South Africa.
The other four respondents in the case are Police Minister Bheki Cele, Minister of International Relations and Co-operation Naledi Pandor, President Cyril Ramaphosa and the Mall of Africa
Follow African Insider on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Picture: Twitter/ @CliffShiko
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Olwethu Mpeshe