Cape Town – Police in Mpumalanga have warned against illegal electricity connections following the death of four people after they were allegedly electrocuted in the Tonga area.
Police said a woman, 36, sustained burns presumably from a live electric cable while working in a field at her home on Monday.
The woman was rushed to hospital but she was declared dead on arrival, said police spokesperson, Brigadier Selvy Mohlala in a statement.
Mohlala said that on the same day, a 12-year-old boy was electrocuted by illegally connected electric cables in Kamhlushwa while on his way to a neighbour’s home.
ALSO READ : South Africa floods kill at least 12, affect Kruger National Park
In another incident, a 16-year-old girl was electrocuted to death after she allegedly stepped on an electric cable on Thursday, said Mohlala.
“Police were summoned to the scene and found the victim lying [in a] pool of water, and there were loose electric cables lying around her. She was declared dead by medical personnel on the scene,” said Mohlala.
He said in another incident, a man was found unresponsive and “shaking” after attempting to fix an electric fault at his home. He was declared dead at the hospital, said Mohlala.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Picture: Facebook/ South African Police Service
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Olwethu Mpeshe