Cape Town – Police on Friday arrested a 55-year-old Indian national after they received information that he had been planning to kidnap an 11-year-old boy for ransom in Lenasia in Gauteng.
In a statement, police spokesperson Colonel Athlenda Mathe said the man was apprehended during a sting operation led by a multi-disciplinary team consisting of a variety of experts within the SAPS, in collaboration with private security.
The man was arrested at a restaurant where a planning meeting was held to discuss the execution of the kidnapping.
“The team moved in swiftly to arrest the man who led the team to a number of properties where two unlicensed and one licensed firearm was recovered.
“A farm that was alleged to be used as a safe house to keep the minor was also identified and searched.
#sapsHQ The multi-disciplinary team consisting of the #SAPS Anti-#Kidnapping Task Team, Crime Intelligence, Organised Crime, K9 and JMPD seized cellphones, SIM cards, laptops, false ID documents, a variety of ammo and a white Range Rover during the sting op in Lenasia. ME pic.twitter.com/gMNtGwBKhx
— SA Police Service 🇿🇦 (@SAPoliceService) November 12, 2022
“Cellphones, SIM cards, laptops, false identity documents, a variety of ammunition and a white Range Rover were also seized,” Mathe said.
She said that the family of the minor was receiving the necessary support and the acccused faced a charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and extortion.
To date police have arrested 116 suspects who have been involved in kidnappings for ransom, according to the National Commissioner General Fannie Masemola.
“Police are determined and will continue to work hard to prevent and combat kidnappings and all other forms of criminality.
“This arrest should serves as a deterrent to those involved in kidnapping cases where ransom demands are being made”, said Masemola.
Compiled by Betha Madhomu