Cape Town – Disbarred attorney and television personality Peet Viljoen was denied bail on Monday, 17 August, after Magistrate Nicca Setshogoe ruled that he posed a flight risk in his multi-million-rand fraud case.
According to Sunday World, Setshogoe delivered her judgment after considering the requirements of the Criminal Procedure Act that must be met before an accused person can be released on bail.
She also considered the history of the case against Viljoen, who faces about 400 charges, including fraud, corruption, theft, forgery and perjury.
Viljoen had maintained during his bail application that he was still technically on bail in the matter and had not breached his bail conditions. However, Setshogoe said the court could not ignore the fact that additional fraud cases were registered against him between 2021 and 2023 while he was out on bail.
The magistrate also raised concerns about Viljoen’s residential circumstances. According to Sunday World, Setshogoe noted that Viljoen does not have a fixed address in South Africa, which she considered significant in determining whether he would stand trial if released.
“Viljoen does not have a fixed address in South Africa,” Setshogoe noted, according to Sunday World.
The court also considered allegations that Viljoen had intimidated State witnesses and the investigating officer. These factors ultimately weighed against his release, with Setshogoe finding that Viljoen was a flight risk and dismissing his bail application.
Disbarred attorney and TV personality Peet Viljoen will remain behind bars after his bail application was denied by the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court. Viljoen was deemed a flight risk, with the magistrate also citing evidence that he had attempted to intimidate state… pic.twitter.com/stjqJTnbEq
— eNCA (@eNCA) August 17, 2026
Viljoen faces charges arising from an alleged scheme involving the fraudulent sale of City of Johannesburg properties. The State alleges that properties worth approximately R27 million were transferred using forged documents.
Viljoen has denied wrongdoing and has maintained that the State’s case is weak. He also told the court that he intends suing the National Prosecuting Authority for R500 million over what he described as an unlawful prosecution.
According to IOL, Viljoen’s lawyer, Andre Steenkamp, had previously argued that his client was not a flight risk because he voluntarily returned to South Africa knowing that he would be arrested. The defence offered R200,000 bail and proposed that Viljoen remain under house arrest at his sister’s home in Pretoria and report to police daily.
As Setshogoe delivered the ruling, Viljoen’s wife was visibly emotional and broke down in tears following the court’s refusal to release her husband on bail.
Viljoen will remain behind bars while his criminal case proceeds. The matter is scheduled to continue on 4 September.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture: Facebook/ IFS Forensic
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Glaan Sibuyi

