Cape Town – The Office of the Chief Justice (OCJ) says it is gathering all information needed about the irregularities in a R255 million IT tender.
The Citizen quoted a Sunday Times report as saying that the OCJ awarded multinational media and technology company Thomson Reuters a six-year IT contract worth R255 million.
The contract related to the national rollout of CaseLines, a digital case management and litigation system that allowed for court documents to be filed digitally.
Three officials at the OCJ were alleged to have helped organise the tender.
The officials were Chief financial officer Casper Coetzer, former spokesperson and chief director of court administration Nathi Mncube and former case management director Yvonne van Niekerk.
ALSO READ: Zondo wants R200m fine or 20 years in prison for ‘abuse of power’
The trio resigned last month and joined Thomson Reuters as local partners.
They were set to earn 30% of the value of the deal, or at least R67.5 million, said the report.
The OCJ on the other hand issued a statement, saying that it was gathering all relevant information relating to the matter and was taking legal advice.
“The OCJ is currently in the process of gathering all relevant information relating to the matter and is taking legal advice. At the appropriate time, the OCJ will inform the public on the matter. We can assure the public that the State funds relating to this matter are safe.
“In view of this, the OCJ will not at this stage be making further comments or providing any additional information in this regard,” the statement read.
Media statement by the Office of the Chief Justice, 12 June 2022. pic.twitter.com/GV2GWwq7j4
— RSAJudiciary (@OCJ_RSA) June 12, 2022
Follow African Insider on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Picture: Twitter/ @OCJ_RSA
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Sinothando Siyolo