Cape Town – Matric results will no longer be published in newspapers and on public digital platforms, the Department of Basic Education (DBE) said on Monday.
The department issued a statement to the media, halting the long-standing practice that allowed the entire country to have access to the matric results of matriculants through newspapers and public digital platforms.
The decision was made in response to the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), which went into effect in July of last year, the department said.
The Act sought to protect the rights of privacy when it came to the collection, retention, dissemination and use of personal information.
“The department recognises that section 14 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 provides that everyone has the right to privacy. This right to privacy includes a right to protection against the unlawful collection, retention, dissemination and use of personal information,” reads the letter.
It continued: “In order to comply with the provisions of the POPIA, the usual practice of publishing the National Senior Certificate (NSC) results on public platforms (media platforms) will not occur for 2021. As was also the practice in previous years, all learners will be required to obtain their statement of results from the schools they attended. In this way every learner’s personal information with regards to the outcome of their National Senior Certificate exam will be protected.”
The matric results are due to be released on January 21.
Read the DBE’s statement below:
Basic Education has announced that in line with the Protection of Personal Information Act the 2021 matric results will not be published on public platforms when they are released on 21st January. @DBE_SA @UmalusiSA @ElijahMhlanga pic.twitter.com/vTw2OVtLvD
— Nandika Shamini Beukes (@tinklez108) January 11, 2022
Compiled by Sinothando Siyolo