Cape Town – A four-year-old boy died a horrific death after he was electrocuted by an open live wire on Sunday in Burgersdorp village, Limpopo.
According to Limpopo police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Mamphaswa Seabi, the boy, Tebatso Thabang Makhata, was walking with his siblings from their aunt’s home when the incident happened on Sunday evening.
“The children ran home to inform their mother that their younger brother was shocked by an open live wire that was lying on the ground. The victim was certified dead on the scene by the medical emergency personnel,” said Seabi in a statement.
Police have opened an inquest docket for investigation.
Provincial Commissioner of the police Lieutenant General, Thembi Hadebe has since urged community members to report illegal electricity connections in order to prevent such ‘tragic incidents’.
Compiled by Olwethu Mpeshe