Cape Town – Fraud and corruption charges against Crime Intelligence boss Lieutenant-General Dumisani Khumalo, Brigadier Dineo Mokwele and their co-accused have been withdrawn, bringing an end to a case that placed some of the country’s senior police officials under criminal scrutiny.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) withdrew the charges in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court following representations that resulted in a decision to permanently stay the prosecution.
According to IOL, the court confirmed that the case had been withdrawn and told the accused: “You are free to go.”
The case centred on Mokwele’s appointment to a senior position within Crime Intelligence.
The prosecution had alleged that the appointment was irregular and that officials had circumvented required procedures, including vetting and security-clearance requirements.
Dumisani Khumalo says he is relieved that the corruption charges against him have been withdrawn and is ready to resume serving South Africans. Tune in to #eNCA on #DStv403. pic.twitter.com/VaE36djyyA
— eNCA (@eNCA) August 21, 2026
Khumalo and seven other officials were arrested by the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) in June 2025 in connection with the case.
According to Eyewitness News, IDAC told the court that the National Director of Public Prosecutions had accepted representations to permanently stay the prosecution.
Mokwele welcomed the withdrawal of the charges, saying the case had placed a significant burden on her and her family.
“A heavy burden has been lifted off me, but also for my family. They had to carry this with me. I can rebuild my life,” she said.
Mokwele said the case had also highlighted the need for broader changes to the criminal justice system.
“The name Dineo Mokwele will never shine the same way, but at least, out of this, something good is coming. I appreciate that this case has created a platform for us to look at the overhauling of the criminal justice system.”
Speaking to eNCA outside the court, Khumalo said he was relieved that the charges had been withdrawn and remained committed to serving South Africans.
However, he stopped short of describing the decision as vindication.
“I will not want to go that far to use the word vindicated, because it might suggest that there was something that was tangible against myself and the team,” Khumalo said.
He said the truth had emerged through both the court process and his testimony before the Madlanga Commission.
“I’ll just say the truth, at least it’s out, whether through Madlanga or through the court processes.”
Khumalo also expressed concern about what he described as the targeting of Crime Intelligence officials, given the unit’s role within the South African Police Service.
He said the officials had continued working to ensure that the case did not negatively affect the services expected from Crime Intelligence.
The withdrawal brings the criminal proceedings against Khumalo, Mokwele and their co-accused to an end, while the circumstances surrounding Mokwele’s appointment and wider concerns about the criminal justice system remain subject to scrutiny.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture: X/@_AfricanSoil
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Glaan Sibuyi

