Pretoria – National Coloured Congress leader Fadiel Adams is facing further questioning at the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry, where his evidence has come under scrutiny over claims that police corruption dockets were intercepted.
Adams is being questioned about his decision to involve suspended Police Minister Senzo Mchunu after allegedly intercepted dockets were brought to his attention, eNCA reported.
He has also faced questions over his handling of sensitive Crime Intelligence information and his role in investigations involving senior officials.
His appearance has been marked by tense exchanges and challenges to his credibility, including scrutiny over earlier claims about his parliamentary laptop and his access to emails from the commission.
Adams has also been accused of abusing his position as a Member of Parliament.
According to The Citizen, Adams faced another intense day of cross-examination on Thursday, 20 August 2026, during which he conceded that he had no documentary or independent evidence to support claims made in a late-2024 email to Mchunu that police corruption dockets had been intercepted in Gauteng and the Western Cape.
Adams told the commission that he had opened three cases at Cape Town Central Police Station in October 2024 before travelling to Gauteng, where he registered further cases at Orlando Police Station. The cases implicated senior members of SAPS Crime Intelligence, including its head, Dumisani Khumalo.
Adams claimed the dockets disappeared after he opened the cases and said information allegedly provided by the late General André Lincoln formed the basis of his allegations.
“I acted only because I wanted these cases investigated. I had no other motive. I emailed the Minister twice. The minister’s office responded twice. I’m actually appreciative of the response, because other ministers don’t respond,” Adams told the commission, according to The Citizen.
Asked how he knew the dockets had been intercepted, Adams relied on Lincoln, saying: “Again, the man with insight into these types of things.”
However, Advocate Lee Segeels-Ncube challenged Adams’ reliance on the former general, who died in May 2025.
“No, Mr Adams. You have the case numbers now. You cannot rely on a dead man every time. It’s unacceptable,” Segeels-Ncube said, according to The Citizen.
Adams maintained that Lincoln had advised him to open cases in Johannesburg because he feared the Cape Town dockets would be intercepted.
Adams’ evidence is significant because his Section 27 referral affidavit triggered investigations into SAPS Crime Intelligence. His reliance on information attributed to Lincoln has become a central focus of questioning following the general’s death.
The commission also scrutinised Adams’ credibility after he was accused on Wednesday of being dishonest about missed submissions, which he had attributed to a malfunctioning laptop. Parliament’s IT records reportedly did not support his explanation.
The inquiry temporarily adjourned to allow Adams to review audio recordings of his previous interactions with investigators, with proceedings expected to continue next week.
Meanwhile, police arrested Adams’ associate, businessman Stuart Scharnick, outside the commission venue on Thursday after journalist Herman Moloi laid a charge of intimidation following an alleged confrontation during a tea break.
BREAKING NEWS | Stuart James Scharnick, a businessman and associate of suspended Deputy National Police Commissioner Shadrack Sibiya, has been arrested for allegedly intimidating a Sowetan journalist. For more visit https://t.co/Jm2zGCk5RU pic.twitter.com/PaOhwPzqa2
— SABC News (@SABCNews) August 20, 2026
Madlanga Commission spokesperson Jeremy Michaels said unacceptable conduct towards journalists would not be tolerated.
“We will not tolerate this,” Michaels said..
Scharnick has previously been mentioned during proceedings. KwaZulu-Natal police have also alleged that an SAPS employee manipulated the criminal records system to conceal his history of cases, including vehicle theft and carjacking charges.
Once Adams concludes his testimony, suspended Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department officer Johannes Makgatle is expected to testify before the commission.

