Johannesburg – Zimbabwe’s ruling party, Zanu-PF, has reportedly said that it is awaiting an official statement from South African authorities following the arrest of Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe at his Hyde Park home in Johannesburg.
Photographs on X showed Mugabe, 29, in handcuffs and being escorted by police .
He is the youngest son of Robert Mugabe, who was ousted in a 2017 military takeover after 37 years in power.
Police divers are searching the swimming pool at Robert Mugabe’s son’s property in Hyde Park for the firearm used in the shooting incident pic.twitter.com/5oBQO0nPEn
— News Live SA (@newslivesa) February 19, 2026
Bellarmine and another man, aged 33, were taken into custody on Thursday in connection with the attempted murder of a 23-year-old gardener, who is reported to be in critical condition.
Police divers assisted in searching for the firearm used in the incident.
[WATCH] The search for a missing firearm at the Mugabe residence continues, as divers from the City of Johannesburg Fire Department arrive to assist. Veronica Makhoali reports from the scene. #Newzroom405 pic.twitter.com/3vtY9L0eV0
— Newzroom Afrika (@Newzroom405) February 19, 2026
“The motive of the shooting is unknown at this stage and police investigations are underway,” said Colonel Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi.
Aording to SABC News, Zanu-PF spokesperson Farai Marapira described the arrest as a private matter and emphasized the party’s trust in South African authorities to conduct a full investigation, noting it is too early to comment further until an official statement is released.
“The party does not flip flop on its stance which was made clear to me by President M that we have zero tolerance for impunity or any matters that may dissuade the pure functioning of the law. Be that as it may, we have full belief and trust in the South African legal service and the police that they’ll do a full investigation. And at this moment it’s a bit premature to be commenting on the matter until the police has issued a statement. So, we are just waiting on the police to finish the investigation and issue a statement so that can know exactly what has happened,” the report quoted Marapira as saying.
The former president’s two sons with Grace Mugabe, Robert Jr and Bellarmine, sometimes live in Johannesburg and have a reputation for partying.
Grace Mugabe, nicknamed “Gucci Grace” for her lavish lifestyle, has previously faced assault allegations in 2017, including attacking an employee with a shoe and assaulting a model with a power cable in Johannesburg, AFP reported.
Robert Jr, 33, also appeared in a Harare court in October last year charged with cannabis possession, which he denies.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture: Screengrab
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Betha Madhomu

