Cape Town – Thousands of Mthatha residents remain without housing after a devastating June flood — declared a natural disaster — swept away homes, displaced thousands, and claimed the lives of more than 100 people.
According to EWN, the floods left more than 4,700 people homeless across the country, with Mthatha being the hardest hit.
The provincial government confirmed that only 25 families have so far been relocated into temporary two-bedroom units, which are intended as a short-term solution rather than permanent housing.
Meanwhile, SASSA will provide each family with a R2,700 voucher, though authorities have admitted to delays in both the rebuilding process and the distribution of housing.
“This intervention forms part of government’s ongoing commitment to ensuring the settlement, safety, dignity and well-being of communities affected by this natural disaster,” said SASSA Spokesperson Khuselwa Rantji.
Exciting news! After two months since the devastating floods hit Mthatha in June, King Sabata Dalindyebo and OR Tambo District Municipality have successfully relocated the first batch of flood victims to temporary residential units. pic.twitter.com/I0rpRwrujM
— King Sabata Dalindyebo Municipality (@KSDMunicipal) August 27, 2025
The King Sabata Dalindyebo Municipality (KSD) confirmed that the first 25 families were moved into temporary homes at Mayden Farm, two months after the floods.
“In an heart warming move to uplift the KSD community, the government has swiftly erected temporary residential units at Mayden Farm, providing a beacon of hope for families who lost their homes in the devastating floods,” said KSD.
Temporary Residential Units for Flood Victims:
🏠🏠🏠🏠🏠In an heart warming move to uplift the KSD community, the government has swiftly erected temporary residential units at Mayden Farm, providing a beacon of hope for families who lost their homes in the devastating floods. pic.twitter.com/1PUowxwnnq
— King Sabata Dalindyebo Municipality (@KSDMunicipal) August 26, 2025
In a statement, the KSD Municipality expressed appreciation and commended Deputy Minister of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Seiso Mohai, for his visit to oversee and assess government interventions following the disaster.
“The Municipality sincerely appreciate the Deputy Minister’s commitment in ensuring that our response efforts meet the needs of affected communities.
‘The KSD Municipality remains committed in collaborating with national and provincial government departments to leverage resources and expedite in addressing the challenges posed by the floods.
“We look forward to working with the Deputy Minister and the team in building and restoring the dignity of the affected,” said KSD.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture: @KSDMunicipal
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Anda Tolibadi