Cape Town – The High Court in Pretoria has granted the state capture a fifth extension, giving the team three months to complete three years’ work, reports said on Wednesday.
According to EWN, the commission will now have until December 31 to submit its final report to President Cyril Ramaphosa.
“The state capture inquiry was meant to take only six months to finish its work, but due to the range and complexity of its investigations, it was granted repeated extensions of its deadline, most recently until the end of September,” the report said.
The Zondo Commission is investigating allegations of state capture along with public sector corruption and fraud, eNCA reported, adding that the commission was initially given 180 days to wrap up after it started its work in August 2018.
The inquiry has spent close to R1 billion so far.
Justice and Correctional Services Minister Ronald Lamola initially tried to oppose the application for a further extension, a Times Live report said, adding that part of his argument was about a lack of funds to give to the inquiry, but he withdrew his application on Tuesday.
“He wanted the court to limit future spending on the inquiry to R15 million,” the report said.
Picture: Getty Images
Compiled by Betha Madhomu