Cape Town – ActionSA has filed papers in the North Gauteng High Court challenging disciplinary proceedings that cleared members of the Presidential Protection Service (PPS) of wrongdoing in connection with the Phala Phala investigation.
The party alleges that the disciplinary process involving General Wally Rhoode and Constable Rekhoto was politically motivated and amounted to an attempt to shield the officers from accountability.
In a statement issued on 17 July 2026, ActionSA said it had decided to pursue legal action after a prolonged process to obtain the records of decisions relating to the disciplinary proceedings.
The party said the proceedings cleared Rhoode and Rekhoto despite findings previously made against them by the Public Protector and the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID).
ActionSA chairperson Michael Beaumont said the party had initially taken legal action against the Police Minister to obtain access to the IPID investigation.
According to Beaumont, the investigation had previously been classified as “Top Secret” before ActionSA succeeded in having the classification removed.
“Upon learning of the disciplinary outcomes against the two PPS members, ActionSA pursued the records of decision in the disciplinary cases and was shocked by what the party received,” Beaumont said.
He said the records were four and two pages long respectively and, according to the party, did not indicate that witnesses had been called or evidence presented during the proceedings.
ActionSA also said neither the Public Protector nor IPID participated in the disciplinary process, despite their respective findings.
The party further alleges that none of the offences identified by IPID were included in the charge sheets used in the disciplinary proceedings.
[ON AIR] South Africa’s opposition party ActionSA has filed papers in the North Gauteng High Court, against the South African Police Service, accusing it of a politically driven attempt to shield members of the Presidential Protection Service (PPS) involved in the Phala Phala… pic.twitter.com/HOBfBnTyjl
— Channel Africa (@channelafrica1) August 20, 2026
ActionSA described the process as a “sham” and accused SAPS of protecting officers who had allegedly acted to protect President Cyril Ramaphosa in relation to the Phala Phala matter.
ActionSA’s court application is structured in two parts.
The first seeks access to additional information and documents under Rule 53 of the Uniform Rules of Court, which the party says are necessary to examine the disciplinary proceedings in full.
Among the information sought are compliance reports submitted to the Public Protector and IPID, records relating to the appointment of presiding officers and the complete records of the disciplinary proceedings.
ActionSA is also seeking further SAPS investigations, a 2023 statement by Rekhoto that was allegedly deemed inadmissible during the 2024 disciplinary hearing, and the charge sheets and evidence presented during the proceedings.
The party is further seeking the 2020 Incident Book in which Rhoode allegedly recorded the Phala Phala robbery.
ActionSA said the document was removed from storage and was in Rhoode’s custody without supervision when IPID investigated the matter.
The party said obtaining the requested information would allow it to pursue the second part of its application, in which it intends to challenge the decisions that cleared Rhoode and Rekhoto.
ActionSA wants the court to compel SAPS to conduct credible disciplinary proceedings against the two officers.
The party’s legal challenge relies, among other things, on Section 182(1)(c) of the Constitution, which ActionSA says provides for the binding nature of Public Protector findings.
It also relies on provisions of the IPID Act relating to disciplinary proceedings following recommendations by the police watchdog.
ActionSA said it believes the court will find that the disciplinary process was inconsistent with the Constitution and the IPID Act.
The party said it would continue pursuing the matter as part of its broader efforts to secure accountability over the Phala Phala scandal.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture: X/@ActionSA
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Glaan Sibuyi

