Cape Town – The Special Investigating Unit (SIU) has confirmed that its investigation into alleged academic irregularities at the University of Fort Hare will continue.
This comes despite the Bhisho High Court’s ruling on 23 October 2025, which declared part of its earlier probe against Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane unconstitutional.
SIU spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago told Newzroom Afrika that the court judgment applies only to the original mandate, based on Proclamation 84 of 2022, which did not explicitly cover master’s degrees or doctorates.
The SIU said it has since amended its mandate under Proclamation 194 of 2024, allowing a broader investigation into admissions, registrations, and degree awards — including bachelor’s, honours, master’s, and PhD degrees — for individuals who might have been ineligible.
SIU spokesperson, Kaizer Kganyago tells @XoliMngambi that the proclamation of a probe against Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane’s education qualification, amid the University of Fort Hare’s alleged maladministration, has been amended. The SIU is investigating alleged corruption… pic.twitter.com/13VvzIvxl0
— Newzroom Afrika (@Newzroom405) November 16, 2025
“This amendment was prompted by the SIU’s investigations, which uncovered the need to explore further areas not covered by the original proclamation,” the unit said in a statement. While the court found its earlier conduct “an abuse” and “unconstitutional,” the SIU insists that ruling does not affect its work under the revised proclamation.
Kganyago stressed that the SIU is not targeting Mabuyane alone, but looking into “systemic irregularities” at the university. He said, “We never went out and said he is one of the people that we are looking at … if the individual is bound to be part of it at the end, we will … deal with that that way.”
he SIU declined to share detailed allegations, citing the risk of compromising its investigation.
BREAKING NEWS: Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane successfully managed to stop the investigation into his alleged fake degree from University of Fort Hare by the Special Investigating Unit (SIU).
Mabuyane took the SIU to court to stop their investigation and judge agreed with… pic.twitter.com/ZDb7xqhCYr— Mzilikazi wa Afrika (@IamMzilikazi) November 15, 2025
The University of Fort Hare also weighed in, saying that media reports claiming the investigation had been suspended were misleading. According to a university spokesperson, “the court’s ruling … imposes no restriction whatsoever on the SIU’s authority to investigate … alleged irregularities concerning the registration, admission or awarding of qualifications.”
The University of Fort Hare notes with concern the misrepresentation by some political and media organisations implying that SIU investigations into academic fraud at the institution have been halted following the Bhisho High Court order issued on 23 October 2025.
This reportage…
— University of Fort Hare (@ufh1916) November 16, 2025
Meanwhile, the ANC in the Eastern Cape welcomed the court’s decision as a victory for Mabuyane. Provincial spokesperson Yanga Zicina called the ruling a rejection of what he described as “politically motivated witch-hunts,” while adding that the party would cooperate with the investigation under the new proclamation.
ANC Eastern Cape spokesperson Yanga Zicina has accused the Special Investigating Unit of abusing its power and harassing Premier Oscar Mabuyane over the probe into his qualifications at the University of Fort Hare. He says the initial proclamation did not include the Premier.… pic.twitter.com/ZFw3gWuFMP
— Newzroom Afrika (@Newzroom405) November 17, 2025
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture:
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Lisabeal Nqamqhele

