Cape Town – A wave of violent incidents among students in KwaZulu-Natal schools has prompted urgent demands from parents and education unions for swift intervention to protect learners and restore order.
On Friday, at Trenance Park Secondary School in Verulam, a Grade 10 learner, aged 17, was stabbed in the neck by a fellow pupil.
Reaction Unit South Africa (RUSA) intervened at the scene, discovering the victim with a large kitchen knife still embedded in his neck.
He was stabilised by paramedics, underwent surgery, and is now recovering in hospital.
A 14-year-old pupil was arrested in connection with the attack, as reported by IOL.
KwaZulu-Natal’s MEC for Education, Sipho Hlomuka, expressed relief over the learner’s condition, stating, “We are relieved to report that his condition is stable, and we remain hopeful for his full recovery.”
He added that the department “will continue to monitor the learner’s recovery while ensuring he receives academic support,” and extended gratitude to RUSA, medical responders, and school staff for their swift action.
Later that same day, a violent mass brawl broke out at Esther Payne Smith Secondary School in the Northdale Circuit of uMgungundlovu District. Security teams—including Mi7 and other private services—responded to treat two pupils, aged 15 and 17, who sustained lacerations to the head and legs. Another learner, believed to be involved, was detained at the scene.
MEC Hlomuka condemned the violence, emphasizing that such conduct “has no place in our learning environments and in our communities,” and wished the injured a “speedy recovery”.
Parents across the province voiced growing alarm. According to TimesLIVE, Vee Gani, Chairperson of the KZN Parents Association, warned that using weapons in school is tantamount to attempted murder.
He said, “When you send your child to school, you don’t expect that child’s going to be injured… the last thing a parent wants is to get a call to say that the child has been assaulted.” Gani urged schools to remove any learner who poses a safety risk and called for society to “take a bold and decisive stand” against violence.
The National Professional Teachers’ Organisation of South Africa (NAPTOSA) also raised concerns. As stated by TimesLIVE, Thirona Moodley, NAPTOSA KZN CEO, said that many violent incidents go unreported and are often fuelled by social media.
“The recent spate of school violence… grabbed the attention of the public because the videos have gone viral; however, there are other violent episodes in schools that are not brought to the public attention,” she stated, adding that if unchecked, such violence will become unmanageable.
She pointed out that a principal had been stabbed just the previous week while trying to stop a fight. She called for stronger law enforcement measures in schools, including random weapon searches and regular SAPS-led assemblies. “Learners must understand that they will be arrested and possibly imprisoned… The harsh realities of violence must be understood by our learners,” she said.
Follow African Insider on Facebook, X and Instagram
Picture: Unsplash
For more African news, visit Africaninsider.com
Compiled by Lisabeal Nqamqhele